MS Sample Submission Guidelines
MS Sample Requirements
- Minimum sample amounts
- Small Molecules
- 50-100 ug (e.g. 1-2 mg/mL x 25-50 uL)
- Ideal for small molecule routine work would be at least 50 microliters of 400 micromolar sample.
- Small molecule samples must be received in either a sealed vial or sealed Eppendorf tube. Solid samples received in cellophane or zip lock bags will not be accepted and new samples provided in the acceptable storage containers will be requested.
- Submit > 1 nmol if sending an oligonucleotide for oligo sequencing
- Submit > 50 pico moles for oligo analyses. An ideal oligo submission for routine work would be at least 30 microliters of 5 micromolar sample
- Proteins/ Peptides
- 50-100 ug (e.g. 2 mg/ mL x 25-50 uL) for peptide mapping
- 20-40 ug (e.g. 2 mg/mL x 10-20 uL) for Native MS methods
- 10-20 ug (e.g. 1 mg/mL x 10-20 uL) for all other protein/peptide analysis.
- Small Molecules
- Samples can be dry or lyophilized sample (specify grams or moles) or in solution (specify volume & concentration)
- If no concentrations are provided a surcharge of $25 per sample will be applied.
- If the samples contain any detergent (Tween, TritonX, etc) tell us in the comments and provide an estimated concentration.
- Provide target molecular weight, molecular formula, or structure.
- Oligonucleotide sequences (use IDT designation as specified at IDT Oligo Nomenclature) this includes sequence modifications if they are available. If the modification is unique please provide a molecular formula or structure.
- If submitting a small molecule, please indicate the structure and/or functional groups, a solvent, and any other important information in the Comments field of the Excel sheet
Qualifications for Discount Pricing:
- Discount Pricing is only available for the following MS methods:
- Oligonucleotide MW_Confirmation
- Oligonucleotide 5min_LCMS
- Samples MUST be in a skirted plate with conical/V-shape wells. See below for accepted plates.
- Plate position for each sample must be specified in Excel submission sheet.
- All samples must be at concentrations between 5 uM – 10 uM with a minimum of 100 uL of sample.
- If plate is shipped dried-down, 0.5-1 nanomole of sample is required
- Uniform MS method selected for all samples on the submission sheet.
- Plates are subject to review to qualify for discount pricing when received. Example of accepted 96-Well Plates are below:
- If you are not using one of the plates listed above, we recommend you contact us to confirm if your plate is acceptable for discount pricing prior to submitting.
- To prevent cross-contamination and potential sample loss, it is best to ship them either on dry ice, or dried-down.
- Even the best plate seals it is likely that cross-contamination will happen during the shipping process.
MS Analysis Time
- Our turnaround time is 1-5 business days starting when the sample has been received at Novatia.
- We take pride in our fast turnaround time of sample analysis, for oligonucleotide MW Confirmation usually within 1 business day of sample receipt and routine purity profile samples usually within 2 business days of sample receipt
- Web-based ProMass report available at our secure data server for biomolecules
- ACD reports for small molecules
Please be sure to download our most recent blank routine sample submission sheet
Still have additional questions? Contact us for additional support